LIQUID JOY
19 June 2026
Stop. I know what you’re thinking with a title like "liquid joy". But no. This is not a post about yet another cocktail or bottle of wine. It’s about a great loss reversed.
I can’t remember when I came across my first Pylones store. I think it was in Paris, sometime in the 2000s. As you can see from their website and in their words “For over 40 years, Pylones has been reinventing everyday objects with a design full of good humour!” : https://www.pylones.com/en/ Given the colourfulness of their products, you won’t be surprised to find out that I fell in love – in particular with their rings. Made out of blown glass and filled with water or tiny fragments of colour, my collection attracts attention whenever I wear them as the coloured water gently sloshes around.
I’ve always declared that they are brilliant travel
jewellery. If they were to be misplaced or lost on one’s journey, the world won’t end because they affordable to replace and regardless of how much attraction they receive, no one is going to beat you
up to steal them. So for decades, at least one Pylones ring has travelled with me.
But on my most recent trip, there was one of those avoidable but unsolvable accidents. On
the flight from Singapore to Paris (somewhat ironic), I took the ring off to
sleep, popped it on the arm of my glasses, forgot that I’d done so I put the
glasses back on in the dark and somewhere amongst the mechanics of a Singapore
Airline chair lies my favourite aqua ring. Impossible to retrieve.
My first task on reaching home, or rather my fourth task after unpacking, washing and solving the hot water problem, was to order a new ring. And of course, browsing the website meant that I couldn’t resist ordering a couple more. And today, they arrived from France. Hurrah. I can get back to collecting complements.

Comments
Post a Comment